Each Hawaiʻi public charter school is governed by its respective governing board, the independent board that is party to a charter performance contract with the State Public Charter School Commission. The governing board is responsible for the financial, organizational, and academic viability of the charter school and implementation of the charter.
Charter School Governing Boards
Hawaiʻi Charter School Governing Boards are described in detail in Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes 302D-12. As detailed in their charter contract with the authorizer, each independent board of a public charter school:
- Is responsible for the financial, organizational, and academic viability of the charter school and implementation of the charter;
- Possesses the independent authority to determine the organization and management of the school, the curriculum, and the method of instructional delivery model as outlined in the terms of the charter contract between the authorizer and the school governing board;
- Shall ensure its school complies with the terms of the charter contract between the authorizer and the school;
- Has the power to negotiate supplemental collective bargaining agreements with exclusive representatives of their employees and is considered the employer of charter school employees for purposes of Chapters 76, 78, and 89; and
- Ensures compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
Governing Board Composition
Governing Board members should:
- Provide the governing board with a diversity of perspective and a level of objectivity that accurately represent the interests of the charter school students and the surrounding community;
- Demonstrate an understanding of best practices of non-profit governance; and
- Have backgrounds in work related to financial, education, legal and leadership. Experience in academic management and organizational management, as well as human resource and fundraising are desirable as well.
When identifying potential Governing Board members and in order to comply with all related state Ethics guidelines, the charter school Governing Boards must follow HRS 302D-12(1), which states:
- No more than one-third of the members of a governing board can be employees or relatives of employees of the charter school under the jurisdiction of that governing board.
- No employee or relative of an employee of a charter school may serve as the chair of the governing board of that charter school unless the State Public Charter School Commission grants an exemption based upon a determination that it is in the best interest of the charter school.
Does the Sunshine Law apply to governing boards?
No. Governing boards are exempt from Chapters 91 and 92, as noted in HRS 302D-12(h) However, governing boards must make available their meeting notices, agendas, and minutes.
Governing boards must make meeting notices and agendas available at least six calendar days before a public meeting on the board's or charter school's website. Notices and agendas also need to be publicly accessible at the board's or the SPCSC's office during regular business hours.
Governing boards are required to make their minutes available within sixty calendar days after the public meeting or five calendar days after the next public meeting, whichever is sooner. The minutes must be posted at a publicly accessible area in the school's office so the minutes are available for review during regular business hours and on the school's website.
How do I contact a charter school's governing board?
Governing boards are required to maintain a list of the current names and contact information of the governing board's members and officers on the board's or charter school's website and in the board's office during regular business hours. Below, is a list of our charter schools with a link to the governing board section of their website.
|School||Link to governing board website|
|Alakaʻi O Kauaʻi Public Charter School||Alakaʻi O Kauaʻi Board|
|Connections Public Charter School||Connections Charter School Governing Board|
|DreamHouse ʻEwa Beach||Dream House Governing Board|
|Hakipuʻu Learning Center||Hakipuʻu Governing Board|
|Hālau Kū Māna||Hālau Kū Māna Governing Board Directory|
|Hawaiʻi Academy of Arts & Science Public Charter School|
|Hawaiʻi Technology Academy||HTA Governing Board|
|Innovations Public Charter School||Innovations Governing Board|
|Ka ʻUmeke Kāʻeo||Ka ʻUmeke Kāʻeo Governing Board|
|Ka Waihona o Ka Naʻauao Public Charter School||Ka Waihona o Ka Naʻauao Governing Board|
|Kamaile Academy Public Charter School||Kamaile Academy Board|
|Kamalani Academy||Kamalani Governing Board|
|Kanu O Ka ʻĀina New Century Public Charter School||Kanu O Ka ʻĀina Governing Board|
|Kanuikapono Public Charter School||Kanuikapono Governing Board|
|Kaʻōhao School||Kaʻōhao Governing Board|
|Kapolei Charter School by Goodwill||Kapolei Governing Board of Directors|
|Kawaikini New Century Public Charter School||Kawaikini Governing Board|
|Ke Ana Laʻahana||Ke Ana Laʻahana Governing Board|
|Ke Kula ʻO Nāwahīokalaniʻōpuʻu Iki Lab Public Charter School||Nāwahī Papa Alakaʻi|
|Ke Kula ʻo Samuel M. Kamakau Laboratory Public Charter School||Kamakau Governing Board|
|Ke Kula Niihau O Kekaha||KKNOK Papa Alakai|
|Kihei Charter School||Kihei Local School Board|
|Kona Pacific Public Charter School||Kona Pacific Governing Board|
|Kua O Ka Lā Public Charter School||Kua O Ka Lā Board of Directors|
Kualapuʻu Charter School
|Kualapuʻu Local Advisory Panel|
|Kula Aupuni Niihau A Kahelelani Aloha (KANAKA) Public Charter School||KANAKA Board and Policies|
|Laupāhoehoe Community Public Charter School||LCPCS Governing Board|
|Mālama Honua Charter School||Mālama Honua Governing Board Information|
|Myron B. Thompson Academy||MBTA Meetings and Agendas|
|Nā Wai Ola Public Charter School||Nā Wai Ola Governing Board|
|SEEQS:The School for Examining Essential Questions of Sustainability||SEEQS Governing Board Information|
|University Laboratory School||University Lab Governing Board|
|Volcano School of Arts & Sciences||Volcano School Governing Board|
|Voyager Public Charter School||Voyager School Governing Board|
|Waiʻalae Elementary Public Charter School||Waiʻalae Charter School Governing Board|
|Waimea Middle School||Waimea Middle School Governance|
|West Hawaiʻi Explorations Academy||WHEA Governing Board|